Tuesday, August 7, 2007

(the narration crackles and pops with incendiary wit)

My 'lil Cat and I saw Rent on Broadway tonight, since Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp are back for a short stint. Needless to say we were quite excited, and the energy of the audience made the experience all the more touching.

We left the theatre overly sentimental - and, in the moment of weakness, decided it was a good idea to wait outside among the mob of Rent crazies.
Waiting to "meet" Adam and Anthony was an experience in itself. Although I almost had a teeny-bopper moment when the retardedly sexy Adam Pascal walked out, i held back and smoked a cigarette instead.

While watching the kids rush the actors at the door, i thought back to when I saw my first production of Rent, and how the musical moved me in ways I didn't understand. I had been one of those bright-eyed kids, in love with these characters that seemed to speak to our hearts. In fact, I met "roger" on the night of my 2nd show. Sadly I can't remember how he looked like now nor do I know where the picture went.

In some ways, this 3rd time felt a bit conclusive, like another beginning of an end, or something like that. I guess seeing the original cast was just one more reminder that ok, this is it - the past years were wonderful and all, but you need to start living for today ( i trust my soul - my only goal is just to be) and for the days to come. Sigh!
I'm not sure why things happen the way they do for us - why certain memories have a way of creeping back to us, at the most random times - to serve as more than just a friendly reality check. Maybe, then, moments like tonight are actually quite necessary in helping us put our anxiety-ridden/busy lives back into perspective.

Anyways, enough of this midnight nonsense. Tonight was $50 well spent on an amazing show with fabulous company. (oh well, good night.)

No comments: